Sunday, January 4, 2009

Wisdom


Watching an Eddie Izzard dvd last night I was reminded of my favourite legend of all time...

Basically the 3 wisest men in the land were asked by the king to write a
definitive history of the known world. They did. 24 volumes. It was the first encyclopaedia. The king said it was too long, could they make it shorter? A year later they came back with one volume... too long still, said the king. Another year later they came back with one piece of parchment.
On that parchment was written the condensed knowledge of the known world. The parchment had one line written on it.

"This too shall pass".

A great line to think of when you might not be feeling so flash.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did think it.. thanx

La Femme said...

Oh dear. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

Anonymous said...

Absofreakinlootley.
You are indeed a wise one.
I'm with La Femme. Hope you are alright.

Anonymous said...

I first heard that line in "My Best Friend's Wedding", which I quite like. I wish Julia Roberts had said it though, rather than the balding Hotel dude, as anything through her lips gains a massive injection of "Phhoarrrr"-ness, but still... good words to think on.

Seen 'Benjamin Button' yet?..

Miles McClagan said...

You didn't get that kind of wisdom from Eddie Izzards sitcom "Cows" though...

Catastrophe Waitress said...

where are you?!
off listening to Koop somewhere, drinking cocktails with jauntily placed umbrellas in your best smoking jacket?

get back here and post sumfink!

Unknown said...

I'm hoping he's not doing his own dishes at least.....